Online gambling in the US has had a strange existence so far. It’s tempting to think that casino gambling is commonplace across the country because of the imposing cultural domination of casino hotspots such as Las Vegas. In reality, gambling in most states is tightly restricted, and online casinos have only just started to become legal. However, sweepstakes casinos have long been popular, using a promotional sweepstakes mechanism to evade US federal gambling laws.
Players at sweepstakes casinos aren’t technically gambling. Real money wagering isn’t possible, with people using virtual currency, often called Gold Coins or Sweeps Coins, instead. This virtual currency can be exchanged for real money on most platforms, if you’re lucky enough. We recently gave you a guide to the metaverse, so now hold tight as we explain how sweepstakes casinos work and the best ways to win.
What Is a Sweepstakes Casino?
As opposed to regular real money online casinos, sweepstakes platforms are legal in all US states other than Washington. Players receive virtual currency in exchange for creating an account, logging in, referring friends and winning tournaments. You can also purchase coin packages if you run out of sweeps coins to play with. Jackpots are paid in virtual currency, although most platforms allow you to redeem these as cash.
Most sweeps platforms like Fortune Coins have a comprehensive array of slots, table games and other options. Don’t expect quite the same number of games as on normal online casinos, although there are still more than enough choices. Reading through a Fortune Coins casino review will give you a better idea of what to expect. This platform is one of the most highly rated due to its generous offers, exclusively designed games and cash redemptions.
Gold Coins and Sweeps Coins
Playing at sweepstakes casinos is straightforward. Once you understand the basic mechanics of how things work, you shouldn’t have any problems. Before we get into a step-by-step guide on how to play, let’s clear up the vital distinction between Gold Coins and Sweeps Coins:
- Gold Coins: Gold Coins are the free currency at most sweepstakes sites. There are numerous ways to receive these for free, and players can also buy packages. The main difference between Gold Coins and Sweeps Coins is that the former cannot be redeemed for real money.
- Sweeps Coins: Sweeps Coins are harder to find than Gold Coins. You won’t receive them for doing simple things like logging in, but you can win more Sweeps Coins when wagering with them on sweepstakes games. Sweeps Coins are redeemable as real money prizes.
Step-by-step How to Play at Sweepstakes Casinos
Understanding the distinction between Gold Coins and Sweeps Coins is vital. Once you do, follow the steps below to play at sweepstakes casinos:
- Head to a site like Fortune Coins.
- Register and create an account.
- Activate the welcome offer.
- Use your free Gold Coins to play sweepstakes slots and other games for free.
- Consider betting with Sweeps Coins if you want to win real money prizes.
- Complete the various tasks to receive more free Gold Coins.
Sweepstakes Casinos vs. Regular Online Casinos
By far the biggest difference between sweepstakes casinos and regular online casinos is that the former uses virtual currency. This is a drawback for hardcore gamblers who are used to wagering with real money. However, casual players love the fact you can play for free with minimal risk. Moreover, sweepstakes casinos are legal across the US, whereas there are still millions of players living in states where regular online casino gambling is illegal.
Unfortunately, most sweepstakes casinos have slightly less variety regarding the number of casino game options available. Most platforms have their own catalog of games, so you’re better off looking elsewhere if you want to play titles from the big hitters such as NetEnt or Big Time Gaming. Nevertheless, the options at places like Fortune Coins are still incredibly fun, and you may find more niche, puzzle-based games that are difficult to find elsewhere.
Top tips for Winning at Sweepstakes Casinos
Losing at sweepstakes casino games isn’t the end of the world due to the free nature of playing, although you’ll still want to win as much as you can. Here are some tips to help you do so:
- Using betting strategies like the Martingale betting system.
- Take advantage of free coin promotions.
- Play high RTP slots.