This article examines the cast of the horror comedy film The Menu. Continue reading the conclusion for additional information.
About The Menu
Mark Mylod directed the 2022 American black comedy horror film The Menu, which was written by Seth Reiss and Will Tracy and produced by Adam McKay, Betsy Koch, and Will Ferrell. Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicholas Hoult, Hong Chau, Janet McTeer, Reed Birney, Judith Light, and John Leguizamo are featured in the film’s ensemble cast.
The film focuses on a young couple who are among an elite group of diners at an exclusive restaurant, only for the restaurant’s celebrity chef-owner to reveal his murderous intentions toward the diners.
The Plot of The Menu
Tyler and his companion Margot Mills travel by boat to Hawthorne, an exclusive restaurant on a private island that is owned and operated by celebrity chef Julian Slowik.
The other guests at the dinner are the food critic Lilian, her editor Ted, the wealthy couple Richard and Anne, the former movie star George and his assistant Felicity, and the business partners Soren, Dave, and Bryce.
Elsa, the restaurant maître d’, gives the group a tour of the island and notes that Margot was not Tyler’s designated guest for the evening. Slowik now declares that Erin belongs with the guests due to her betrayal, but Erin mocks his dishes and complains that she is still hungry.
Read More: Cast of John Wick 2 – Release Date | Plot | Production and Everything You Need to Know!
Erin orders a cheeseburger and fries from Slowik because she has previously seen a photograph of a young, cheerful Slowik working in a fast-food restaurant. Slowik is moved by her simple request and prepares the meal accordingly. Erin takes a bite, compliments the food, and then asks if she can “take it to go.”
Slowik packs her lunch and allows her to depart. Erin uses the neighboring Coast Guard vessel to flee the island. Slowik pays homage to s’mores at the conclusion of the meal by wrapping the diners in marshmallow jackets and chocolate hats. Erin watches from a boat as he sets the restaurant ablaze, killing the patrons, employees, and himself.
The Cast of The Menu
- Ralph Fiennes portrays celebrity chef and Hawthorne restaurant owner Julian Slowik.
- Anya Taylor-Joy portrays Margot Mills / Erin, Tyler’s escort to the meal.
- Nicholas Hoult portrays Tyler, Margot’s snobby client and Slowik foodie enthusiast.
- Hong Chau as Elsa, the maître d’ of the restaurant and Julian’s right-hand woman.
- Janet McTeer portrays food critic Lillian Bloom, who helped make Julian famous.
- Julian disparages John Leguizamo’s portrayal of George Daz, an arrogant post-prime actor, as a sellout.
Read More: Have a Look at Grace and Frankie Cast With Its Synopsis!
- Reed Birney portrays businessman and frequent Hawthorne customer Richard Liebbrandt.
- Anne Liebbrandt, Richard’s wife and a frequent Hawthorne customer is portrayed by Judith Light.
- Paul Adelstein portrays Ted, the editor of Lillian’s work.
- Aimee Carrero portrays Felicity, the assistant, and girlfriend of George.
- Soren, portrayed by Arturo Castro, is a sardonic IT business entrepreneur.
- Rob Yang portrays IT business investor Bryce.
- Mark St. Cyr portrays Dave, an investor in the technology industry.
- Rebecca Koon portrays Linda Slowik, the drunken mother of Julian.
- Christina Brucato portrays Katherine Keller, a Hawthorne sous-chef who proposed the “death” on “the menu” at first.
- Adam Aalderks portrays Hawthorne sous-chef Jeremy Louden, who strives to live up to his head chef.
- Dale, the sous-chef who poses as a coast guard officer, is portrayed by Matthew Cornwell.
- Peter Grosz is the sommelier at Hawthorne.
Release of The Menu
The Menu debuted at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 10, 2022, and at Fantastic Fest that same month. It was released in 3,211 theatres on November 18, 2022, the largest release in Searchlight’s history.
Production of The Menu
During his honeymoon, Will Tracy dined at the Cornelius Sjmatrestaurant and later suggested to Seth Reiss that he write a story based on the experience. Emma Stone and Ralph Fiennes were announced to star in The Menu in April 2019, with Alexander Payne attached to direct.
In December, the screenplay appeared on the annual Black List, a survey highlighting the most popular unproduced films. By May 2020, the distribution rights were held by Searchlight Pictures, Payne and Stone had left the film due to scheduling conflicts, and Mark Mylod had replaced Payne as director.
Read More: Hateful Eight Cast – Release Date | Plot | Reception and Everything You Need to Know!
Christopher Tellefsen is the film’s editor during post-production, while Colin Stetson composed the score. Milan Records released The Menu (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) as a separate album on November 18, the same day the film was released.
Reception of The Menu
The Menu has grossed $48.3 million worldwide as of December 6, 2022, with $25.5 million in the United States and Canada and $22.8 million in other territories. On Rotten Tomatoes, 89% of 254 critic reviews are positive, with an average score of 7.6/10.
“While its social commentary relies on basic ingredients, The Menu serves up black comedy with plenty of flavors,” reads the website’s consensus. Using a weighted average, Metacritic assigned the film a score of 71 out of 100 based on the opinions of 45 critics, indicating “generally favorable reviews.”