Now that Warner Bros. has unleashed Doctor Sleep upon the world, fans are wondering: when can we expect Doctor Sleep 2, and what will it look like? Stephen King’s 2013 novel Doctor Sleep continued the events of Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 film adaptation of The Shining.
The new Doctor Sleep movie is a good adaptation of the book and sequel to the original film, despite the fact that it differs significantly from the film version of The Shining.
The main character of Doctor Sleep is an adult Danny Torrance (Ewan McGregor), who has largely moved on from the traumatic events that occurred during his childhood stay at the Overlook Hotel.
Danny has buried most of these recollections, but his abilities bring him into contact with Abra Stone, a young girl with even more impressive abilities (Kyleigh Curran).
When her extraordinary abilities are exposed, Rose the Hat (Rebecca Ferguson) and The True Knot go in search of her to drain her of her strength. In order to safeguard Abra, Danny returns to the Overlook Hotel for a confrontation with Rose.
Doctor Sleep concludes the story in its entirety, but it is possible that future stories could take place in the same universe. So far, reviews for the film have been positive, and Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 75% approval rating.
King, based on his comments, is a big fan of it. Now that we know King approved of the movie and that Warner Bros. is hoping for box office success, let’s take a look at what we can expect from a Doctor Sleep sequel.
Do You Think There Will Be a Sequel to “Doctor Sleep 2?”
Warner Bros. has not yet revealed any plans for a Doctor Sleep sequel. If the new movie does well at the box office, then it’s possible that this will occur. The horror/thriller needs to resonate with viewers beyond the opening weekend in order to spark talk of a sequel, which is expected to earn between $20 and $30 million domestically.
- The Flash Release Date: Cancellation & Renewal Status in 2022 on Amazon Prime!
- Night Sky: Confirmed Release Date, Trailer & Everything We Know in 2022 on Amazon Prime!
Despite the fact that Doctor Sleep has received generally positive reviews and benefits from The Shining’s established reputation, it will ultimately be up to the studio to decide whether or not there is enough interest to justify making more films in the franchise.
What Can We Expect From the Plot of Doctor Sleep 2?
Warner Bros. will have to do some creative writing if they want to make a sequel to Doctor Sleep. Whether or not they would need King’s blessing to write a sequel to Doctor Sleep is unknown.
The plot of a potential sequel would likely revolve around Abra, with Danny appearing in some capacity at most. In addition, a sequel could introduce even more superhumans to this universe.
Expected Cast of Doctor Sleep 2
- The role of Danny Torrance, originally played by Danny Lloyd in the 1980 film The Shining, is played by Ewan McGregor, who has aged considerably since then.
- Ewan McGregor plays the title character, Danny Torrance, an alcoholic with psychic abilities. Young Danny Torrance is played by Roger Dale Floyd.
- Rose the Hat, leader of the psychic-eating True Knot cult, is played by Rebecca Ferguson.
- A girl named Abra Stone (played by Kyleigh Curran) has “the shining.”
- A young version of Abra Stone, portrayed by Dakota Hickman.
- Carl Lumbly plays the late Overlook Hotel chef Dick Hallorann, who is afflicted with “the shining.” In the film The Shining, Scatman Crothers played the role of Dick.
- Crow Daddy (Zhan McClarnon), Rose the Hat’s true love and ally in the True Knot.
- Snakebite Andi (Emily Alyn Lind), is a young True Knot member with psychic control abilities.
- Dan’s AA group’s leader and Dan’s boss at the hospice is Dr. John Dalton, played by Bruce Greenwood.
- Jocelin Donahue portrays Abra’s mom, Lucy Stone, in this episode.
- Dan’s AA sponsor, coworker, and pal Billy Freeman (Cliff Curtis)
- True Knot member Barry the Chunk, portrayed by Robert Longstreet.
- Grandpa Flick, portrayed by Carel Struycken, is an elderly True Knot.
What Exactly Is the Point of Doctor Sleep?
Long after the events of The Shining, an adult Dan Torrence (who has taken on some of his father’s less admirable traits) visits a very different but no less intriguing setting: a nursing home.
When the traumatized alcoholic finally decides to get help, she finds a young girl who has “the shining.” Formerly known as Danny, he now has the responsibility of keeping this girl safe from a strange cult called the True Knot, who plan to use her as a fuel source for their own immortality.
“Our beliefs don’t make us better people. Our actions make us better people.”
Happy Birthday to our Danny Torrance, Ewan McGregor! pic.twitter.com/CKgO9Uy4pO
— Doctor Sleep (@DoctorSleepFilm) March 31, 2020
Who Is Going to Play the Lead Role in Doctor Sleep?
Ewan McGregor (Dan Torrence), Alex Essoe (Dan’s mother Wendy), and Carl Lumby (The Man in the High Castle) all make cameo appearances (Dick Hallorann). Rebecca Ferguson (Rose the Hat), Zahn McClarnon (Crow Daddy), and Emily Alyn Lind will form The True Knot (Snakebite Andi).
Kyleigh Curran (Abra Stone) and Cliff Curtis are also joining the cast as new characters (Billy Freeman).
Jacob Tremblay (from the Netflix horror film Before I Wake), Carol Struycken (from the Stephen King adaptation Gerald’s Game), Selena Anduze (from The Haunting of Hill House), Robert Longstreet (from The Purge), Catherine Parker (from The Purge), and Violet McGraw (from The Purge) will all return for this film (which he developed for television).
Is There Going to Be a Second “Doctor Sleep” Film?
The release date for Doctor Sleep has been set for Friday, November 8, 2019.
If a sequel to “Doctor Sleep” is made, it will be a while before it reaches theatres. From the time that director Mike Flanagan was brought on board until the completion of the first film took around two years.
Flanagan reportedly expressed a desire for a second installment. The fate of both of these concepts is uncertain, though, in light of the underwhelming reception “Doctor Sleep” received. But, on the bright side, the movie has been doing spectacularly well on digital streaming platforms.
There is a chance that a sequel to Doctor Sleep will be made and released in 2023 if production on it begins next year according to thecinemaholic.
As far as we know, no official trailers have been released for this season.
- The Marvels: Is This Series Release Date Confirmed for This Year on Amazon Prime!
- A Million Little Things Season 5: the Premiere Date of Season 5 of a Million Little Things! Are a Million Little Things Available via Netflix or Amazon?
Frequently Asked Questions
Will There Be a Sequel to “Doctor Sleep 2?”
Stephen King has approved a follow-up to both his novel and Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of The Shining. The essential information about Doctor Sleep is provided below. Doctor Sleep, Stephen King’s sequel to The Shining, will soon be adapted into a film by Warner Brothers.
Can I Watch Doctor Sleep on Netflix?
The 2019 horror film Doctor Sleep has received a lot of positive feedback from Netflix users and has quickly risen to the top of the streaming service’s popularity charts.
Why Is It Called Dr. Sleep?
Danny Torrance’s efforts in this area have helped earn him the moniker “Doctor Sleep.” During his time as an orderly at a hospice, Dan demonstrates a special talent for easing the suffering of terminally ill patients.
Is Doctor Sleep a Horror Film?
American writer-director Mike Flanagan brings us the supernatural horror film Doctor Sleep in 2019. The film is a continuation of Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining and is based on the Stephen King novel of the same name, published in 2013. (1980).
Was Jack Nicholson Offered a Part in Doctor Sleep?
Maybe Flanagan didn’t realize how difficult it would be to top Jack Nicholson’s iconic performance, but casting Henry Thomas as Jack was a huge mistake. There is no resemblance between the two actors at all. However, this is not to discount Thomas’s acting abilities.
For more information on upcoming movies and more, check our website by clicking here.